Remembering 9/11

>> Friday, September 11, 2009

I heard on the radio today that President Obama has declared today a National Day of Service for the first time in the eight years since the 9/11 attacks. People all over the country are performing beach clean ups, preparing packages for soldiers overseas, etc. How awesome is that? It is times like this that I wish it was mandatory that all companies gave you at lease eight hours of community service paid. That is the kind of legislature I would like to see passed! Well that and a decent maternity policy.

It is hard to believe that 9/11 was eight years ago! It seems like a lifetime ago that I was a sophomore in college. I remember when Michael walked in to turn on the news after his class got cancelled. We just watched the news and I just cried. What an awful day full of so much uncertainty. What would the future hold? Yet life has went on but we still remember.

I think today is a day of remembrance but also a day of appreciation. For all that we have. But more importantly why we have it. I have a sister whose husband was deployed to Iraq just last month. They are newlyweds and she was having a hard time with him leaving much like all military families do. The words of encouragement I offered her brought a smile to her face..."Just remember that if he wasn't who he was we wouldn't be who we are and you should be proud."

Today remember and honor the lives lost, remember and honor the event, but be thankful and proud of where we are and the freedoms we have because of all of our brave Military Personnel. And if you can try and help someone today. We may not get the day off but we can participate in this National Service Day in our own way.
siggie

1 comments:

Trish September 11, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Awesome post! I also did a post today on 9/11.

Tell your sister to thank her husband for me! We owe all of them a huge THANK YOU for their service and protection!