Stay Above the Sheet!

>> Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My friend Brookie is so close to having her baby! Unfortunately her husband travels a lot for work so of course she needed some back up labor support. I was honored when she asked me to be one of them. I am taking my role very seriously now that she is almost 39 weeks. Tonight I took her to the movies and tried with no avail to talk her into letting me have a slumber party with her while hubby was out of town. I have my phone glued to my hand in anticipation. Her reasoning for picking me? Other than my complete awesomeness...

She knows I can take her yelling at me and still stay calm. She knows I am experienced. I can handle pressure. I can handle the unspoken labor rules...because I know them!

When I got home tonight Michael's had an interesting view on the situation.

Michael: I could so not stare at someone else's junk.
Me: Do you think that is what I would do?
Michael: I am just saying....
Me: I am just saying there is an unspoken rule of 'stay above the sheet' in all labor situations.
Michael: But what if you had to?
Me: Well if the situation arises and I have to birth the baby in the back seat then I do what I have to do and never speak of it again.
Michael: I just couldn't stare at a dude's junk.
Me: Seriously?

Stay above the sheet. Wouldn't you agree? I remember Michael and I had this exact conversation when I was getting ready to have Lily. Under no circumstance was he to even glance past the sheet. I would like some resemblance of my dignity left in concern of my husband. If I had my choice the doctor wouldn't look if they didn't have too. I mean seriously no man needs to see his happy place destroyed. Am I right? I remember his face just being witness to some of the aftermath. I cannot imagine what he would have thought if he had witnessed the 'passage.'

I feel a similar belief about video cameras during labor. Who the hell wants to see that? Yuck. But hey I am sure there are people out there who wouldn't have it any other way and break out the old birth video for family christmas. Yeah have fun with that.

Now lucky for Michael I had a c-section so Michael's 'happy place' remained semi unscathed.  But did you have the same rule? Stay above the sheet or witness the miracle of birth? Which is better?  Did your Baby Daddy feel strongly one way or the other?

10 comments:

Dana March 23, 2010 at 7:37 AM  

Michael will be staying above the sheet...

Sharla Collins March 23, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

I had that rule too.... but there was no sheet. And with your knees up to your cheeks there's no way to avoid the lady junk from just bein' all up in everyone's view. I'm just glad I didn't have to bear witness myself.... I don't know if I could respect my lady gaga going forward.

...and we'll never know if lady parts catastrophe '08 contributed to my husband bailing the eff out on the marriage!!

Trish March 23, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

oh girl I am cracking up!!! I would have to say that I was in so much pain after 28 hours of labor that I didn't care if the hospital janitor saw my junk!!!!!

Nicole Faby March 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Dave watched the whole thing!! Starting with the cathater!! I did'nt care at that point! Next ones he's "catching" the baby!! I however have no clue what the heck happened down there!! They offered me a mirror and I wanted to throw it at them!

Blair@HeirtoBlair March 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

We were totally "stay above the sheet" people - until his birth :)

There's no way to avoid the view, like the previous comment stated. Plus they wheeled in a mirror since I was having trouble getting him past my pubic bone.

& to be honest, once they put the catheter in a few times, the doctor sticks things up you to break your water, etc....the dignity is out the window. I didn't care what he saw!

Susan March 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

I must say that I disagree with the "above the sheet" rule. With my daughter I had my husband, sister & mom in the room. I had mirror put up to watch "down there". It was incredible. When you are watching the miracle of birth, you are not looking at the "junk" you are watching the sight of your baby crowning and seeing light for the first time. I even got to lean forward and help pull her out. That may sound yucky to some people but I wouldn't have any other way. And like some other commentors said, you don't care at that point who sees your stuff even if your junk gets messed up (like mine did - but that is what reconstructive surgery is for).

Sorry if this was all TMI. :-)

But lose the sheet!

Kari March 23, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Umm, we're having a stay above the sheet situation. More power to those that want a front row view of the miracle of birth, but I think it is safe to say that my husband will probably want to stay away from that.

Susan March 23, 2010 at 12:13 PM  

Also, forgot to mention...

I have been the only person that has allowed either my mom or my sis to watch a birth and they both now say that they feel a special connection to my daughter just because they literally got to see her enter this world.

The Many Thoughts of a Reader March 23, 2010 at 6:24 PM  

I would love to have an above the sheet rule.. unfortunately i can picture my husband wanting to have his nose right in the middle of everything.. preferably with a recording device.. he may just need to stay in the waiting room hahha

Anonymous March 24, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

As a recreational lactation consultant, I recommend staying well above the equator.


-Leche McGhee