Pro-Spanking

>> Wednesday, April 14, 2010

I think my exhaustion with Lily has started to roll into my work life. I was talking with a fellow Mom at work about my trials and tribulations with the terrible twos when another co-worker decided to chime in. She mentioned that if I thought it was bad now wait until she was a  teenager. My response? "Well at least then I can kick her in the arse and she will get the idea. That wouldn't so much work now!" You would think the world had screeched to a stop!

CW: OH NO YOU CAN'T!
Me :disbelief on my face: Oh yes I can!
CW :shocked: They can call child services!
Me: :matter of factly with extreme southern drawl (my fiesty voice): Call them, I will tell them the same thing. A spanking for mouthing off never hurt nobody  And they will take one look at the situation and think...Mmmm I would do the same thing and then leave.
CW: Well that is just awful and you better be careful! My daughter called them on me once and they came!
Me: Bring it on!

Okay seriously? Is our society that scared of itself that we can't even discipline our own children? That is when you have to stop and realize this is why we have the hellions we have these days. Kids would have never gotten away with this stuff in the day! Parents are scared! Scared of what people think. Scared of getting in trouble. Scared of royally screwing up their kids. There probably aren't many Mom's out there that didn't get a good arse whooping at least once in their life from a pissed off parent. I did! And you know what? I am fine! I am better for it! I learned a little respect.

So yes I admit it. I believe in spanking. I am Pro-Spanking! Go ahead judge, and think I am a horrible Mother! But I know that there are times when it is needed. My Dad used to just get the 'big scary eyes'  at me and it was enough to stop me in my tracks. I think I had the fear of God put in me at an early age. So much that the fear of a spanking straightened me up right quick. I didn't actually get spanked that often. That is golden if you are a parent.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying everyone should beat their children into submission. No you can't do that. Even if you feel like it sometimes (okay a lot of the time when teenagers are involved).  But I think a good pop on the arse is necessary at times. Has Lily gotten a pop? Yes! More than once. It has usually involved a safety issue up to this point. For example, running into the street after being warned to stop. Or trying to take apart the electrical outlet at a friends (not so baby-proofed) house after a being asked to stop. That deserves a pop! It is a safety concern.

With that being said you should always spank responsibly. A fellow mom suggested that the parent "sentencing punishment" (aka the pissed off parent) should determine the punishment and the other should be the "deliverer." This prevents you from spanking/punishing/time-outing, etc a child while angry and shows that both parents are a team and on the same page. I thought this was an awesome idea! Not always feasible but definitely worth a try.

What do you think? Is spanking a thing of the past due to fear? Or in good southern fashion will you deliver a good arse pop when the need arises?

17 comments:

Trish April 14, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

I am a pro-spanking parent now in the teenage years of parenting and I dare Kyle to call DSS! I assure you I would dial the number for him!

When he was a toddler we spanked him and not only on saftey issues. I would pop that tater in a second if he needed it...and still will even though he will soon be 14!

That is what is wrong with this would today. We as a society are raising our children to have NO decipline and they think that everything should be handed to them with NO questions asked...not on my watch sister!

I have popped Kyle in church before and dared anyone to say a word to me..."spare the rod, spoil the child" thats what the Lord says!

Alice April 14, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Guilty and proud. Arse popping doesn't even hurt them right now because of the diapers, so I don't even feel bad about doing it.

Melissa April 15, 2010 at 2:26 PM  

I agree with you 100%. i got popped when I did something that could hurt myself or others and I will continue that tradition with Olivia!

Mickie April 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

I'm not sure actually. I can't remember a time so far that I've spanked my little guy. Sure he's done all those little things mentioned here of course, but I guess I just naturally have responded differently. I don't think Jack has either, though I know one of his grandparents has popped him on the leg at least once or twice. And I clearly remember telling my mother before I became a mom that I would not have an issue with spanking and I don't think my opinion on the matter has changed that much, I just haven't felt it was the right response yet I guess.

Oh & I was one of those kids that was more afraid of a spanking too so I almost never had to get one. I'd straighten up if I thought it was coming!

Becky C. April 29, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

I am an unabashed pro-spanking parent--even though some of my friends think I must be insane--until their kids are driving them insane and notice that this is not a problem in our home--LOL

But, we are not alone--there are other Moms who believe there is something to a parenting technique that has been used for eons by satisfied parents.

Anonymous October 8, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

The problem with you pro-spanking parents is that you think that the opposite of being pro-spanking is being anti-discipline. Nonsense. As a father of two, now grown, and a teacher of hundreds of elementary school students, I know that purposefully and willfully inflicting pain on children to mandate obedience is not only unnecessary and cruel but lazy and ultimately ineffective in establishing a moral code or teaching anything.

How sad, that parent who claim that their children are so important to them are so inept and idea-less so as to need to resort to physical punishment.

Anonymous February 11, 2011 at 10:36 PM  

I am so glad to see this website. Thank you Jesus. My partner and I just adopted an 11 year old girl. We have fostered her for a year and a half and now finalized the adoption. I told her that spanking was coming. Please let me describe some behaviors: peeing on the floor, telling the neighbors that a stranger was chasing her (lie), disrespecting teachers and adults in general. It is freeing to know that I am now able to connect a really bad behavior to a really bad consequence that is swift and just. I want her to think ahead about what is coming. Kids need to know cause and effect. She is learning quickly now that all parental rights are in play. I am also a teacher and, not saying a good spanking would help all children, but I have quite a few students that a good swat in the hall would keep them in school and probably raise a few test scores!!!! Thank you so much for living in reality, all of you. It is refreshing!

Claire December 12, 2011 at 11:19 PM  

Hmmm, to the couple of people on here who are anti-spanking: it's interesting to see that you are quick to judge and talk about how terrible and unintelligent people who spank their children are and how ineffective it is, yet you are the two who are the most condescending and the only two so far that I can see who have use name-calling and put-downs. Maybe if someone had disciplined you a little more harshly, you'd have better manners. So much for the "spanking begets violence" theory, because the second anti-spanker who is the third person named "Anonymous" is threatening violence herself. Interesting....not to mention hypocritical. "Your child should hit you back"? This is the problem with the world today; children are not afraid of their parents because some people think spanking does not equal love, yet sometimes love means you do things that are best for the child, but maybe not the most pleasant. Maybe when people stop being afraid of their children, and afraid of what their government might do to them, we'll restore a little sanity to this crazy world. And P.S., I can point to dozens of scientific and legal studies that say spanking is more effective and actually helps to lessen violent crime in the long run, rather than increase it.

Anonymous December 27, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

You're not a horrible mother...just a lazy one who didn't wish to make the effort to keep her parenting non-violent. Maybe you'll get popped the same way when you are elderly by children whom you taught the technique.

bluestatedad June 3, 2012 at 1:07 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
bluestatedad June 3, 2012 at 1:09 PM  

I deserved every spanking I got as a child. Spankings are good and needed. My mom and dad spanked me bare-butt with a wooden spoon and I have nothing but appreciation for them.

Anonymous September 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM  

Just a couple of facts : spanking leads to aggressive behavior, bullying, mental illness, and sexual fetishes. There's been a lot of research done in the past 22 years. Please look into it if u still use this method of discipline, its not the 1960s anymore. Its pure ignorance. Its traumatic for children therefore the developing brain turns it into a pleasure, hence adult fetishes. If not many other cognitive disfunction which they have to live with. Use logic PLEASE. Think about this....we can't spank adults just because there out of line. We'd get arrested for sexual assault. How dare anyone hit a small child, its an immediate fix with long -term consequences. Children should fear there parents.

Anonymous September 27, 2012 at 11:38 PM  

Last sentence meant to say, children should not fear their parents. Sorry.

Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 5:35 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous October 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM  

Pitiful and sad that so many parents think that inflicting pain is discipline. What is even sadder is that they express their pro-spanking opinion with an arrogant and mean-spirited pride that suggest that instead of truly viewing children as human beings to be loved and guided there are nothing more than chattel to be used with little thought or care. Sad.

Dennis September 2, 2014 at 4:28 AM  

"Think about this....we can't spank adults just because there out of line."

That's true. What we do is lock them in a cage, which is much, much worse than a spanking. We ought to consider corporal punishment in the criminal system. It would be much more humane than the system we already have.

Anonymous March 19, 2018 at 8:31 PM  

As a mom of 4 daughters aged 4 to 10. I can assure you that all of them have and if needed still go over my knee for a sound spanking and yes shoot me it's bare bottom too. Wow I'm such a bad parent, yet my children are so well mannered compared to their friends, actually their moms ask me what my secret is, and I tell them. I am proud to say a couple of no spank moms have changed their mind, and their children attitudes have changed for the better. My kids don't often need spanking but when they do it is done with love and afterwards hugs and it is all forgotten. I have the best behaved well mannered respectful girls I know