What's Wrong Little Pookie?

>> Monday, April 12, 2010


This morning was rough. As soon as I woke Lily up she started screaming. Nonstop. For no apparent reason other than she was just pissed off at the world. Kicking, flailing, screaming. Somehow, with the help of my ever patient husband, I got her dressed and down to her chair for breakfast (still throwing a fit).


Michael sets down her plate of yummy pancakes and strawberries and she just tosses it.

Uh.Oh.

I could almost see the steam coming out of Michael's ears. He is normally the calm one but this was just unacceptable. He promptly gets her out of the chair and carries her to time out. This doesn't seem to phase her or deter her from the fit. She continues on for quite a while. Full out screams! I tried on two different occasions to get her to calm down and she pretty much screamed louder. I would ask her if she was ready to come out and she would give me a go to hell look and continue on.

I couldn't leave for work with her acting like that. You know I believe no parent should be left alone with a half crazed child because those gut wrenching screams could send even the calmest of parents over the edge. So FINALLY Michael gets her calmed down enough and she starts sobbing for me (SCORE!) and I calmly get her into her chair and when I leave she is happily eating her breakfast and I even get a "Bye Bye Mommy I love you" as I am heading out the door.

But when I call Michael a little bit later to see how she did after I left his response was:

"She was okay as long as I didn't look at her. When I looked at her in the rear view mirror she screamed bloody murder."

It's okay sweetie, I get that reaction when people look at me too. But seriously I don't know why but this just tickled me. Looking at her is what set her off! Wow she should be in full fit 24 hours because who wouldn't want to eyeball that cuteness. I laughed so hard!

But really.... I need some help. We are basically ignoring the fit and putting her in time out to finish it. When she calms down (sometimes a really long time later!) we let her out. Any more effective tips on tantrums? Or finding out the root cause of the tantrum? I have no idea what set her off this morning!

3 comments:

Trish April 12, 2010 at 2:55 PM  

maybe you picked her up from the wrong side of the crib???

I don't know what to tell you, I have no words of inspiration, wisdom or insight. Sometimes a toddler can be so hard to reason with. If you are already iqnoring the tatrums that is a great start. Have you tried telling her that it is not nice to be ugly to people and put her in her crib or bed until she can act nice and behave like a big girl?

Alice April 13, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

I just start singing really loud and carry him around with me (if he lets me). Usually he stops pretty soon.

Kari April 13, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

My mom told me the other day that when I was around 2 or so, I threw a temper tantrum and she'd had enough. At the time she was doing dishes, so she poured a cold cup of water over my head to "cool me off". She said she was pissed after that because she'd made a mess but I quit throwing a tantrum after that...LOL