Two and Three Weeks

>> Sunday, July 06, 2008


Sleeping just like Daddy!

I have been a slacker for a few weeks so I will give a lengthier update this week....

We have had a busy few weeks. Some challenges, some milestones! First things first. As many of you know breastfeeding has been a nightmare for Lily and I. Basically anytime I tried to feed her she screamed in terror! I guess I would scream too if a huge boob was shoved in my face. We saw the lactation consultant as earlier mentioned but her weight was still not what the doctor wanted to see. So I have been freaking out for weeks trying to get weight on her, which eventually lead to her refusing to nurse at all and me having to pump and supplement with formula last weekend. But on a brighter note when I took her to the doctor the following Monday she had gained 8 ounces in 5 days. Finally after a five day nursing strike she all of a sudden started nursing like a champ! It was weird. Because she had gained so well the doc has released us until her one month check up on the 14th so I am not sure how it is "really" going but with patience on my part (aka hour + feeding sessions) she seems to be satisfied. I guess the true test will be next week when they weigh her. Right now I am feeding most of the day and pumping at night. I admit I just don't have the patience for hour long feeding sessions in the middle of the night. I want to do whatever is going to get me back in bed asleep the quickest. My only complaint is a little bit of pain associated with her having a shallow latch sometimes. If this doesn't get better in the next few days I will make another appointment with the consultant. But I want to give her a little longer to get into her groove.

I have to say the whole breastfeeding thing is stressful and really does make you feel like your baby hates you at times. Like when she flails and screams at your boob! But it is worth it. Because I am so proud when she does do it and I feel like its guaranteed bonding time. Plus she is so cute and I just get to stare at her when I nurse. I have in addition to bonding with her read like seven books in three weeks! They say the first month of breastfeeding is the hardest and most stressful and it really doesn't get better until six weeks and lord knows I believe it. But I am sticking it out!

Lily's umbilical cord finally fell off on the 29th of June so she got her first big girl bath. This did not go over as well as the first sponge bath. But after the first one she started enjoying them again. The subsequent ones have not ended like the first as demonstrated below. She loves it when you pour water over her.


This past weekend was the fourth and marked Lily's first night of semi sleeping through the night. We put her down at 11:30 after we got home from a 4th of July BBQ and she did not wake until 5am! I was so proud! Of course it could have been the margarita I drank that kept her out but hey its a blessing none the less! She was really cute on the fourth!


Here are some catch up pictures..
Two Weeks



Three Weeks

1 comments:

Suz July 7, 2008 at 7:43 PM  

Steph & Michael, She's just too cute. I really want to come visit. We'll be out of town again this weekend, but I'll email you next week and see what works for you. Love love love her in the owl outfit of course!!