5 Weeks

>> Monday, July 14, 2008


We had Lily's 1 month check up this morning. She is a whoppin' 10 pounds and 5 ounces and still 21 inches long. That equals out to the 50th percentile for weight and 25th for height. The doctor said she is gaining weight great so apparently the breastfeeding is going well. I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders.

This week we had a few parent milestones. This was actually our first weekend at home with no visitors from out of town. So I went out with a girlfriend for lunch and a movie on Saturday while Michael stayed home with Lily. I believe this may have been his first time alone with her with no one else in the house. I was gone about four hours. Surprisingly enough she survived! Michael has a bad habit of just shoving a bottle in her mouth if she gets fussy which leads to supplementing with formula. I had left two bottles of breastmilk and that was all he had given her and even had a little bit left. I was a little shocked that he hadn't pumped a whole can of formula in her on top for the breastmilk. He will definitely be the one giving her cookies when mom isn't looking.

What surprised me the most about going out on Saturday was how I felt. I really needed to go to the make up store but decided to head home. In a hurry nonetheless. I missed her like crazy! It was some freaky force pulling me back home with a quickness. And then when I saw her I was so excited! She had been asleep most of the morning before I left so we didn't get to spend any QT. So that afternoon felt like I had not seen her in days. I picked her up immediately and held her for hours with a huge surge of emotion for her. (aka hormones) It's like I'm a crazy woman. Nature...its a bitch.

Michael got to go out two days this week. One night after work for drinks and on Sunday he went and played golf for most of the day. Needless to say he did not have the crazy hormone surges about leaving that I did. He leaves her everyday! So he didn't care. But I did care about him not being there around dinner time which never fails is her fussiest time of day. I looked it up and it is actually called the "witching hour" most kids are fussy during this time and it correlates with a decrease in your milk supply. Its weird!

This weekend Lily also got her first bath from Daddy! I usually do them during the day. He had only assisted in the sponge bath weeks twice, and never with the big girl method. Michael performed well although he doubted his ability. Here are a few shots of them. He even picked out her outfit!





We also took her to work to meet our friends. On Thursday I took her to both places and she stayed awake forever! She was completely mesmerized by the lights in the hallways. It is like baby crack. She behaved so well, it made me proud. I think I figured it out she only slept for about four hours that day besides bedtime. But because we were gone so long I did not pump or feed which leads to my next topic....

Clogged milk ducts! Who knew this happened?! Do they sell drano for boobs? How do you unclog it? How do you know you have one? Well On Thursday I noticed I had a blinding headache. I get migraines but this was different. Almost like a really bad hangover. I just kinda pushed it off and sucked it up. Well it kept me up most of the night (even after Tylenol) and then I had it on Friday as well. Well on Friday it finally dawned on me...I have a fever! I never get fevers. I can be really sick and no fever. But this is usually my sign that I have one. I get them so infrequently that I always forget this fact. I tried to take my temp but nothing so I am thinking okay its probably a low grade fever..maybe I am getting sick. Well Lily was fussy most of Friday and that night. I didn't know why. Then that night when I pumped I noticed I was only getting about half the normal amount of milk I produce. (I feed during the day and pump at night) So I started feeling around and sure enough I felt a knot inside my boob! Its creepy, like finding cancer! Ugh. So I looked up how to get rid of it (it is 2am by the way). I put a warm compress on it...start rubbing it....heating pad.....more Tylenol (my head still hurts) and try to go back to sleep. Everything says get lots of rest and pump alot. I get up every two hours to pump. Finally on Saturday it seems to go away and I started feeling better. But I swear for 24 hours I just walked around and rubbed myself! Quite entertaining. Apparently skipping feedings causes this. Well I learned my lesson. I am still sore but I am thinking it is from my intense massaging efforts. You know I finally get this feeding thing down and this happens...crappy luck I guess. Or lack of education :)

This week I will be home alone with Lily while Michael goes to Jersery on business. Oh NO! Will I survive? Stay tuned....

2 comments:

Mickie July 14, 2008 at 3:30 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mickie July 14, 2008 at 3:42 PM  

Looks like you've had some struggles. Glad to see things are starting to work out. I can feel for ya, we've had a rough go of the breastfeeding too. But never had any issues with weight luckily. Jax is a chubby little dude. Don't feel bad if you are still having issues after 6wks. I am and we're around 10wks now.

Still would love to see little Lily! Let me know when you are up to it & we'll come over or meet you for lunch. I'm on extended leave so I'm home most of the time.