2 Month Check Up

>> Thursday, August 14, 2008

Today we took Lily for her 2 month check up. Here are her stats

11 pounds 11 ounces
23.5 inches long

That puts her in the 75% for weight and 50% for height. I mean honestly are we surprised she is short? I was surprised she was not fatter though! She was a little skimpy on eating that morning though, and when I weighed her here she was over twelve. But they said she is doing well and growing consistently.

This was suppose to be a big vaccine visit. Which leads me into my next topic. After some research Michael and I decided on doing the alternate vaccine schedule suggest by Dr. Bob Sears. His book "The Vaccine Book" is a book that I recommend every parent read. It breaks down each vaccine, how it is made, side effects, concerns, etc. All of his information is taken from the vaccine pamphlets contained in the vaccine box, the AAP and the CDC. So it basically facts. Which I like. He is definitely pro vaccine so if you are anti vaccine (I still recommend you read it), this may not be what your looking for. With all the conservancy surrounding vaccines this offered a, what I think, safe alternative. Below is a comparison of the AAP schedule and the alternate schedule we chose.

American Association of Pediatrics Schedule
Birth: Hep B
2 months: DTaP, Rotavirus, HIB, IPV, Hep B, Pc
4 months: DTaP, Rotavirus, HIB, IPV, Pc
6 months: DTaP, Rotavirus, HIB, Hep B, Pc
12 months: HIB, IPV, MMR, chickenpox, PCV7, Hep A
15 months: DTaP
18 months: Hep A
4-6 years: DTap, IPV, MMR, chickenpox
Plus a yearly flu shot after 12 months


Dr. Sear's Alternative Vaccine Schedule
2 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months*: Pc, HIB
4 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months*: Pc, HIB
6 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
7 months*: Pc, HIB
9 months: Polio (IPV)
12 months: Mumps, Polio (IPV)
15 months: Pc, HIB
18 months: DTaP, Chickenpox
2 years: Rubella, Polio (IPV)
2 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A (start Hep B at birth if any close relatives or caregivers have Hep B)
3 years: Hep B, Measles
3 1/2 years*: Hep B, Hep A
4 years: DTaP, Polio (IPV)
5 years: MMR
6 years: Chickenpox
12 years: Tdap, HPV
12 years, 2 months*: HPV
13 years: HPV, Meningococcal
(once Meningococcal vaccine is approved for age 2, Dr. Sears will move it there and delay Hep B by 6 months)

Now as you can see the alternate schedule is a bit more complicated, alot more visits, but still achieves the goal of having a fully vaccinated child. My concerns included the autism speculation, the overload of vaccines at some visits such as 2 months and 1 yr, and just general safety. For example the DTaP vaccine that replaced the DTP vaccine we were given as children has not been on the market that long in the lifespan of drug safety. Just things like that. But everyone has their own opinions this was just mine.

Right before I went to the appointment I glanced at my pediatricians website and noticed they had posted a new vaccine policy. I knew this was not previously there. So I read it and immediately I realize it is going to be a fight to get them to agree to the alternate schedule. Who knew I was going to an ultra conservative doctors office? They are actually dismissing patients that refuse to vaccinate, or not follow the schedule. There was a small blurb that said on a limited basis they would discuss altering some vaccine timelines. Oh great! I just want to say I really like my pediatrician so the thought that she wouldn't agree to my wishes was heartbreaking! I didn't want to search for a new doctor and Michael said he didn't know if he felt strongly enough about either side to fight for it. So we scheduled extra time and did talk to her about it. She flat out told me she did not like the alternate schedule and thought we would take advantage of people that vaccinated their kid on time, that there is no way the vaccines cause autism, and that we would be spending a lot more money, and our child could die from some of these diseases. Honestly I am an educated woman and had done my research, which she noticed since I knew most of the stuff she was telling me. I know the risks, and they are minimal. i.e. what harm is it to delay the polio vaccine until nine months. I mean seriously there has not been a case here in like three decades. I don't think she is going to die of polio, or become paralyzed. She did say they will not split up the MMR virus under any circumstance so I asked if we could delay it until two years old. She said we would deal with that later and agreed with a note in my chart and waivers to Lily only getting the DTaP and Rotavirus today. I think it went well. I am not getting kicked out! Which is what I was scared about! But I am wondering if every time I go in there it will be a fight. So we will see. I am staying put for now. But once again I recommend this book. It really was a big help in just becoming knowledgeable in the vaccines. It doesn't site all the speculations, just info which is nice and doesn't freak you out like some books.

Lily screamed from the shot and it broke my heart. The alternate schedule will cause her more visits of traumatizing shots vs. fewer and more at one time so many heartbreaks in the future! The rest of the day she was a little sleepy, but no fever and temperament was pretty good.

Funny story about the rotavirus oral vaccine. They gave that to her first and then had me hold her arms and coddle her during the DTaP. Well she started crying after the shot and I gave her kisses, right on the mouth not thinking. The Rotavirus is a live attenuated virus so there is a chance I could get it through stool/oral contact. Real Smart Steph. If I get sick who takes care of the baby?? The chances are small but I mainly felt like an idiot!

1 comments:

Mickie August 23, 2008 at 12:28 PM  

Which doc are you using? Jack & I wondered about vaccines but didn't fight it b/c of the same issues you mentioned. I've not read that particular Dr. Sears book but do have his breastfeeding one (Steph B gave to me).